Redirect supported links to apps
Added by Anonymous over 4 years ago.
Updated about 4 years ago.
Most popular browsers, e.g. Firefox, Chrome, Brave, have the ability to open supported links in apps (for example open YouTube pages in NewPipe or the YT app, or open Wikipedia articles in the Wikipedia app.)
IMHO the addition of such feature into Privacy Browser would be a substantial quality of life improvement.
- Priority changed from 2 to 3.x
That's a good idea. I will plan to implement it in the 3.x series after tabbed browsing.
I'm assuming that each app will need to be individually programmed. So we should start making a list of which apps would be desirable.
3. Google Play
If you think of any others you can add them below.
Isn't there a "supported links" feature in Android itself? That is, doesn't each app report that it can open supported links of a type?
Asking because I've seen Brave suggest my installed apps, for pretty uncommon websites, without even being granted the permission to list installed apps (using XPrivacyLua).
1. Apps can check if another specific app is installed without the need for any permissions. That is how Privacy Browser checks to see if Orbot is installed and displays the version number in the About screen if it is. However, the ability to do so might be limited to asking by name if a specific app is installed, and thus doesn't allow the enumeration of all apps.
2. Apps can register an intent with the OS that lists what types of things they are able to open. Privacy Browser uses this list for the share functionality. This doesn't currently work with YouTube or NewPipe, probably because Privacy Browser shares both the website title and the URL in a way that works well with sharing to a message or email.
3. I should be able to create a different menu that shares just the URL in a way that other apps can open it up (URI format will probably work best). I will look at adding such a menu when I get to this feature request.
4. Some apps might need to have a specific intent to work correctly. In addition to the above list, I should probably also look at opening F-Droid as well.
- Assignee set to Soren Stoutner
- Status changed from New to Closed
- Priority changed from 3.x to Next Release
Also available in: Atom